View Single Post
Old June 15, 2013   #36
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Naysen, this corner of the yard is infected with fusarium so I have to either graft (if i want to plant in the ground) or plant in pots. Unfortunately i can't reuse the soil (for tomatoes) since i don't trust that some fusarium spores haven't blown into it during the previous year. By far the biggest expense is the soil which I replace every year. I will replace the bags also. If I didn't have fusarium I would use the same structure but plant in the ground one foot apart and prune to one stem. I like the system but wish I could plant in the ground. I think it must cost about $4 - $5 for each plant (soil, bag and amendments) which is probably more than most people would want to spend. I have considered grafting everything and planting in the ground and am still considering it for next year.

I do get some shade both from the trees and from the plants themselves. I am on the Sacramento River so I get the Delta breeze. I think it might stay cooler here than it does over your way. I think those few degrees can make a difference.

I hope you get some answers soon on yours.

Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote