View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013   #40
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Lyn, Thanks. Over the years I have tried different fertilizing routines. When I was using the dry organic fertilizer I did scratch it into the soil every 2 to 3 weeks. It was a lot of work with so many plants. So late last year I switched to a concentrated liquid foxfarm fertilizer that I added (watered down but still overly concentrated) to the pot as I watered (to water it down further). This year I found an organic pelleted fertilizer that I only have to add every 2 months so I put it in at the time of planting and I should only have to add two more time for the whole season. I will show a picture of everything that is in the pots. I used to make up my own soil but it was back breaking work. The bagged soil is more expensive but much easier than mixing myself. I start with the organic pottng mix and add two different mineral products (azomite and Cascade Minerals), the pellatized fertilizer by Dr Earth, Lime (not sure if I need that) and shrimp meal (because I accidently bought a lifetime supply and figure it can't hurt). So far it seems to be working out well.

Simmran, I generally don't have the fungal infections that are seen on damp plants and soil. Just fusarium which does very well in the heat. So the extra shade is helpful in keeping the garden a little cooler. Fusarium is a soil born disease and once it is in the soil it is hard to get rid of. The Sacramento valley has fusarium. I have purchased 1000's of potted plants (ornamental and vegetables) over the years from local growers/nurserys and it was probably just a matter of time before I brought one in that carried fusarium. With my current growing system, potted plants and grafted plants, I don't have much trouble with fusarium even though I know it is in the soil.

thanks for the comments,
Marla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-potting-mix-1-9978.jpg (209.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-potting-mix-2-9974.jpg (233.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-potting-mix-3-9976.jpg (238.7 KB, 75 views)
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote