View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013   #4
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari.beth View Post
I started a compost pile back in March - admittedly without doing enough research on how to successfully create compost. My hubby has been adding grass clippings like crazy. I have added straw and cedar shavings (recommended as "dead material" by guy at garden store) and veggie scraps from kitchen. I now am worried that we have too much grass and not enough of everything else. I turned the pile today and the bottom seemed to be turning dirt-like. However, the top layers still just seem like grass. Any suggestions for salvaging my pile so I will have compost for next year's garden would be appreciated greatly! (Any suggestions for how to use in next year's garden also will be appreciated, e.g., ratio of compost to dirt, etc.)
The first thing I would want to know is how dry is the pile? As habitat gardener pointed out it should have a decent level of moisture. Not soaked but definately not dry either. I would also stop adding new materials to that particular pile and let those materials fully compost. I have room for several piles so I make piles spring and Fall and have a bin for kitchen scraps. I never stop collecting materials but with the exception of my kitchen scrap compost I do not continuously add them to actively composting piles.There are many different thoughts on how to compost. I am a pile turner. You don't have to be, but that's what works for me. I collect materials and make a large pile all at once. I then let the pile start decomposing for 3-4 weeks and then I turn it. Turning it helps get oxygen to the microbes that are working to break down the pile. When I turn it I try to put the top layers on the bottom and the bottom layers on the top. If I notice there are dry spots when I'm turning I water them with a watering can. I then cover the pile with landscape fabric to protect it from heavy rains. I repeat this process again in another 4-5 weeks. Unless I feel particularly ambitious I will not turn the pile again until early the following Spring or Fall. Although the pile I made this Spring will not be completely broken down until the following spring (will definately break down faster for you in TN) I can sift plenty of useable compost from the pile in the Fall. I think Composting takes a little experience and trial and error. And I know it takes time and patience. Don't get discouraged, it is definately worth the effort.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote