View Single Post
Old July 4, 2013   #7
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default My problem plant

This particular Mrs Maxwell's grew into this giant plant, with broomstick size stalks, that looked more like something a crow would perch on, than a plant that produces good tomatoes. At about 8-9ft the plant had 5 tomatoes and about 2 dozen empty trusses, many, many flowers broke. I tried cal-mag, watering correction, thought about excess nitrogen possibilities, and finally chopped the tops with hope of diverting growth to flowers instead of more collagen fibers. It worked like a charm and she set about 60 tomatoes within a couple weeks. I have also began training two suckers toward the bottom to take over as new tops, even though they're 6ft below the real tops. This plant has set hundreds, several hundred flowers, acts like an untamed beast, finally broken to provide. The plant actually only has two main stems and an assortment of these weird truss, vine flower, now tomato, arrangements. The few earlies that set I tried and they proved to be real delights, I may have to wrestle this beast again next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0229.jpg (275.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0230.jpg (363.5 KB, 145 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote