View Single Post
Old July 12, 2013   #2
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
My first set of blooms produced wonderful petals and sepals. But all I have now to show that pollination took place, is very tiny tiny tomato beginnings, even in the megablooms...! It seems the crazy weather has tampered with the fruit setting process, and the nutrients are rushing to the next set of flowers.

The first set was 'self-pollinated', or the plant only gently shaken. With the second set I applied the electric toothbrush technique, and that seems to have done the trick: much larger fruits that are rapidly growing.

Are my first fruits doomed to stay so tiny...?
I had several megablooms and was so happy, expecting some giant tomatoes.. but next time I am wise and use the toothbrush since the first flower opens her eyes
If the size of the plant at pollination time is smaller than needed, it can limit supply of nutrients. Which results in a smaller fruit. My first tomatoes are smaller than usual, I transplanted them way to early. I knew that, just wanted to experiment.
Smaller fruit is better than none. Good luck. Having fruit set is an exciting time. You know that you are getting there.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote