View Single Post
Old July 24, 2013   #119
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Default thanks for the HOW TO Thawley

I put together 20 of these cages this June, pretty much like Thawley's original post. 20 cages and a 14' flat piece as a fence for an end row, with some of the 5x150 roll leftover for next year. Half I made 18"+, the other half 20"+ but I double overlapped those to make them 18" for this year. Our rows are little close this year so that couple inches mattered for clearance. I do think 18"+ seems big enough for Better Boys but next year I plan wider rows and letting them out to 20"+. I'll probably make some 22"+ next year for the big tomatoes that are on the fence this year.

I love the cages. Previously it was stake and tying up. These keep the plants off the ground much better. I like the flat fence too. Might use it elsewhere next year for some sweet 100s or something; this year it is supporting four big tomatoes. I have done some tying when the plants shot up quickly and shot through the cage, but after tying back for a week I can weave them back in usually.

I don't mind the rust, but I can see it being a turn off. The roll I got was plenty rusted at the store.

I wanted to mention I tried both a bolt cutters and a 4-1/2" angle grinder w 1/8" cutoff wheel to make the cuts. The angle grinder left a much smoother cut and I would suggest that if possible over a bolt cutter. To bend hooks I used a 3/8" drive long extension with a deep socket. Cutting and bending the bottom for 12" stakes worked well. I broke a few of their tack welds while bending the first couple cages, so I got some use out of my flux core welder. After a while I had a rhythm going and only required couple pitchers of lemonade to finish in a few hours.
Plants went in the ground June 1.
July 10

July 23
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote