Thread: bleach spray
View Single Post
Old July 27, 2013   #85
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I hope you didn't have your solution too strong; but if you had it would burn the new leaves too. I had the same problem with my plants earlier this year after it had been raining every day for three weeks and I had been unable to spray. The plants looked okay but I knew better. When it rains that much down here with our heat and humidity diseases flourish. Even my small seedlings lost a lot of leaves because they were sitting out on a table hardening off awaiting planting and were as exposed as my plants in the garden to the constant rain. After that first spray I didn't lose nearly as many leaves in my follow up sprayings because I didn't wait as long between sprayings. Many of those plants are still producing tomatoes despite having no leaves on the bottom 5 feet of the plant.

That is why I emphasize spraying early before diseases are very noticeable if conditions are right for the development and spread of foliage diseases. It is much easier to control the diseases if you treat them early and often. Waiting only delays and worsens the inevitable. I was able to apply Daconil 2 days ago but it is starting to rain again today so I will have to use the bleach again very soon. This has been the worst year for foliage diseases that I have ever seen because it has been impossible to keep a fungicide on the plants. After all the speck, spot, mold, mildew and Early Blight I hope we don't follow up with Late Blight.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote