View Single Post
Old August 15, 2013   #89
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Anybody else?? Pretty sure I sent out seed to many more people than have weighed in here!

Would also like to know if anyone is planning to followup on any of these lines themselves in subsequent years.
I will be growing out Dr. Carolyn X Beauty Queen for sure. Dr. Carolyn X Pink Berkley Tie Dye tastes good but splits way too easy. I doubt it is worth messing with. A cherry that splits is near worthless to me. (even though it is a big cherry) The last one I am torn over. The Green Zebra X Black from Tula is one of the most stunning beautiful tomatoes I have ever seen from the bottom. Beautiful red and green striping and when the green gets very ripe it changes to a bronze color that subtly kinda "sparkles". It is stunning. However the tops are as consistently ugly as any tomato I have ever seen. It has green shoulders but they are always hard, scarred and scabby. You have to cut the whole 1/4 to 1/3 and sometimes even 1/2 of the top off just to eat the bottom? A couple even had BER. Right there that would generally make me say it is not worth messing with. BUT ....... That bottom is delish! Very tasty indeed! The issue I think would be to figure out a way to get the top shoulders "fixed" without compromising flavor and I am not even sure if it is possible. Certainly beyond my skill level. I might grow a plant or two and hope to get lucky? I'll be sure to send you seeds. Hopefully your breeding skills are better than mine.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; August 15, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote