View Single Post
Old August 25, 2013   #49
aclum
Tomatovillian™

(Inadvertently posted this to Farmer's Daughter Fusarium thread... meant to post it here!)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting all that information on which tomatoes did well on which rootstock. Very interesting!

At one point you mentioned that your garden was "drowning," which made me wonder if you'd seen the following article:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/pro...h/grafting.pdf

with info on using eggplant rootstock for hot and wet conditions. I admit to not having read the whole article yet (particularly on the details of the actual grafting), but did skim the part about the eggplant rootstock.

DP seeds carries, I think, 3 different rootstocks specifically for eggplants AND tomatoes. I'm not sure if the rootstock are themselves hybrid (or interspecies??) eggplant or tomato, but will e-mail them to find out. I know NE Seeds distributes some of their tomato and watermelon rootstock, but I don't think they have the eggplant type.

I got some of their RST -04-105-T tomato rootstock (from NE seeds) and was really impressed by it. 100% germination all within a day or two or each other and in about the same time frame as my scion seeds, 7 of my 8 grafts took quickly with no problems (and the one that didn't take had a bad graft connection). Unfortunately I forgot to turn on the AC when I went out for a Dr's apt the other day and I sort of fried the scions on 3 of 4 grafts in one of my healing chambers. When I unclipped them to cut off the scion portion, I saw that the graft had totally taken on the ones that died, and the rootstocks looked good so I tried regrafting with a "petiole" graft ala Delerium.

I posted a few photos of my ping-tung eggplant/kbx tomato graft in the grafting photos thread. I want to try more along these lines but have been looking for an eggplant specifically suited to grafting.

Something to think about ......

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote