View Single Post
Old September 2, 2013   #60
b54red
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=cythaenopsis;374128]Thanks for shedding light on your past struggles, Bill. It definitely sounds like you've tried nearly everything. Your garden contracted some kind of super fusarium that persists year after year. Just mind boggling though... I do have to wonder if there's some source up wind from you that is helping it persist.

I don't think the fusarium I have is any super strain I just have plenty of all three races of fusarium wilt and that limits what varieties will grow for any length of time. Fusarium is prevalent in a lot of the soil down here. All the commercial growers around here now use only varieties that are resistant to all three races of fusarium in order to insure a good crop. I can still grow heirlooms and hybrids that are less resistant but the odds of success go way down and the number of productive plants is greatly reduced. Grafting is a lot of trouble and fairly expensive but compared to the alternatives it is the best solution. I love not having to set out such a large number of plants in order to have a decent crop and I really like not having to replace such a large percentage of my plants continually throughout the season.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote