View Single Post
Old September 2, 2013   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Bhut Jolokia Pepper - Bring Indoor For Winter?

I am bound and determined to grow an extra hot pepper but haven't had success so far. I can grow Cayenne, Thai chilies, Serrano, jalapenos, habaneros but the true scorchers are elusive in Portland, OR due to our short season that is relatively cool compared to the south.

I have a Bhut Jolokia that is in a grow bag that actually put on a couple of peppers but they won't be ripe by the time our season ends. I would like to bring it in for the winter but it won't be beautiful in the house in a grow bag. I suppose I could buy a big pot and just set it in the pot. Also, we don't have a good window where it will get light during the winter. Will it do okay without good sunlight? My normal house plants do great.

What is the best way I can preserve the plant for next year?

On the same vein, if I start these extra hots under my grow lights earlier than I usually do (March) and leave them under there for a couple of months, will I perhaps have better luck? I know my electric bill will be through the roof but I really want some extra hots! Or maybe I need to build a cold frame and keep them under there for a while before it warms up?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote