Thread: 2013 pole beans
View Single Post
Old September 3, 2013   #19
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Bean update! I cooked a whole bunch today, separately so I could compare the cooked flavors, and here are the standouts. Most of these are from a different garden.

Helda Romano and Goldmarie were the sweetest! Incredible flavor, slight edge to Helda. They're from the garden where the beans aren't doing as well, though I planted Helda before and had huge harvests. Last year, Helda was one of my favorites as a raw bean, and not a lot made it indoors.

Jeminez had a nice strong savory flavor. It's another large flat bean.

North Carolina Speckled Greasy Cut Short finally started producing in the past week -- very late! This too is from the garden with few beans. Almost every other bean is pretty much done there. It has a nice strong green-beany flavor.

Surprisingly, a runner bean from a neighbor's garden (white flowered) held its own. Good flavor, more green than beany.

Finally, Blue Coco had a nice strong pleasant flavor.

The rest of the beans were just ok, including some of the ones that were exceptional earlier in the season -- Sultan's Green Crescent, Bosnian, Bush Romano. The pole beans were a lot smaller than earlier and had bigger seed bumps, though.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote