View Single Post
Old September 6, 2013   #21
ChilliJez
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i think your garage, based upon prior comments as to temperature, would be a good place since you don't have a basement. good luck and we'll be interested in how you do. scott in atlanta sound like he knows just how to do this!

tom
Tom, I agree with all you say. Particularly that Scott probably knows loads!

pdxwindjammer, I'm glad you have a plan and are going ahead. As you have a window in your garage for some light I'm hopeful you'll succeed.. With my plants on a windowsill some stayed leafy throughout the winter and others looked unhappy and shed all their leaves. Once it warmed and brightened up they all came round so don't be despondent if they seem to be doing badly. Potting soil on the dry side but not completely so and not too warm but not freezing and I think you'll do well.

tlintx, I remembered something I changed last winter. In the pictures posted I drilled holes in the bottle cap to run the wick through. when it came to remove the plant from the bottle pot roots had grown through the wick and into the reservoir below. It was quite traumatic trying to separate these!
Last winter I did the same but left out the bottle caps. I put a piece of fabric inside the base of the pot and ran the wick through a hole in this. That way when I removed the plant from the pot in spring , rootball wick and all could be drawn up through the hole and pottd on.

Good luck everyone. Now I need to get my Rocotos sowed this weekend.

Jeremy

Last edited by ChilliJez; September 6, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Not wanting to be misunderstood.
ChilliJez is offline   Reply With Quote