View Single Post
Old September 12, 2013   #49
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting. And thanks for the thread as well - all that enthusiasm convinced me to try it, even though we're not big salsa eaters.

They all seemed to seal overnight. This was my first time canning, and I was a little concerned when three of the first batch popped fairly early and three were still up at the time of my post. I used about 1/4" +. Our old ball book guide is from before salsa was popular in the US I guess; no mention of salsa anywhere. I was going with 1/4" for tomato purees and such.

After I posted here, I did an internet search and practically every salsa I found was 15 min water bath, and either 1/4" or 1/2", so I stopped worrying about it.

The salsa is pretty good. I left out the cilantro... We have a pot of it but the smell reminds me of those nasty asian stinkbugs that showed up ten years back. Sometimes I like it, but then I'll hit a hot spot of cilantro and want to gag. So I left it out altogether.

It turned out a little expensive having to buy canned sauce, paste, coleman fuel($5 for the ~1/2 gal used), and lime juice ($1.65/cup real lime). By my math it was $35 for the consumables + garden tomatoes to can 24 pints. I really don't think we'd like it as much with vinegar like the original Annie's. Each batch I made a little different hot pepper wise.

I'll keep my eyes open for a good pot to use on the stovetop. I love the idea of canning like this but it would go smoother to do it all inside.

JR
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote