View Single Post
Old October 3, 2013   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Jim, I considered alternating, but it didn't seem to be worth it. That would put the collective humidity of all shelves flowing over everything in the case as you progress upwards. The amount of airflow is adequate to exchange the air on each of the shelves quite quickly. I have really intended to use the top shelf as a place to begin fresh fully wet seeds and slowly move them down a few levels at a time.

The paper plates sit very solidly and are not easily bumped around. I don't have the kid nor the kitten problem, so I ruled those out of design influence as well. And, there just isn't enough room to "dump" a tray from anywhere in the column. As long as you use a minimum of care when putting new paper plates in, there shouldn't be any problems. In a month of use, I never had a single loose seed anywhere.

What I think is the primary advantage is that the paper plates don't have to be stacked touching each other, and the whole operation takes up a much smaller footprint.

As far as "stray winds", I keep this dryer indoors. It has its own permanent location on a low shelf in the extra bedroom.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote