Thread: Rock Dust?
View Single Post
Old October 29, 2013   #7
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
Composter, I wish I had such a resource!

I think using rock dust to remineralize is a great idea. I did buy a 50 lb bag of Gaia Green glacial rock dust and have been sprinkling it around all my winter veggies. I am going to liberally sprinkle it on my community garden plots and then mulch with leaves to keep the weeds down. Then plant in it next spring and see what happens! I have heard it makes the veggies more delicious and nutritious as well.
pdxwindjammer, If rock dust is as valuable a resource as my research says it is I am very lucky. Not only does the quarry give it to me for free, they are very nice about it. The gentlman that I have dealt with 2 years in a row took me on a tour of the operation, showed me how it was screened, gave me a choice of mesh size and provided me with an official analysis of the rocks that were being used. All this just for the asking. It's a waste product. They have thousands of tons of it. My only regret is that I do not have a truck or I would get 3 times as much.

As I have stated in my thread on building soils for nutrient density, the great thing about the rock dust is once you have remineralized you should not need to do it again for years if not decades.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote