View Single Post
Old November 27, 2013   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Vladimir,

Thank you so much for the wealth of information and for your research!

Yes, I can open the PDF document, but I cannot read Czech, so thank you for translations and explanations! The documents mention 'Stupice' as a place of production, so I am assuming this is probably why the name 'Stupicke' was changed to 'Stupice'...
I understand that 'Původni šlechtitel' means 'original breeder'. So Stupicke was bred by Jaroslav Homola, who worked at 'Selecta', correct?

I could not find a mention of the original name in the PDF document, maybe I missed it.

I find it fascinating that Stupice was bred from Mikado. So Mikado must have been available in Czech seed banks? I wish I could get my hands on this historical variety!

So I understand that Stupické rané skleníkové and Stupické rané may be further selections from the original varieties, Stupicke sklenikove and Stupicke polni rane.

Tatiana
Tania, look again and you'll see it said
leaf-type Mikado, so that Mikado comment was referring to PL foliage,which it is, as are all four Stupikes/

Did I miss where it was said that Mikado was one of the parents in breeding the initial Stupike, from which selections were made for all four?

It would make sense as a source of PL foliage, but Mikado being pink the other parent must have been red since all four Stupikes are red fruited.

Carolyn, and thanks again toVladimir who has done all the groundwork here. Justanother question for Vladimir. From those threads at GW long ago that can no longer be researched, I was pretty sure that the breeding station for the Stupikes was not one of the names you mentioned. It was a European GW member who spoke Czech who made the initial phone call, that I remember as well.