View Single Post
Old January 22, 2014   #15
ChrisInNC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Along the lines of making it producer-only, you want to head off what I call the "flea market effect." If you don't have a clear policy about arts and crafts, and Chinese-made trinkets, then vendors like that will fill your spaces and you'll have a flea market instead of a farmer's market. The market I go to will get 5-10 craft vendor applications for every farmer application.

The best way to have control over the vendors is to choose carefully who you let in. Most smaller markets will only let in one vendor per specialized product like farm eggs. That keeps the vendors you do have happy.

Regarding pricing, a farmer's market may not fix prices, period. You can suggest a minimum price, but you can't make a vendor have a particular price, at least in the eyes of the law.
I agree with that. In my post I wasn't trying to suggest fixing a price for a product, I was trying to advocate for the market to address undercutting prices. It makes for unhappy vendors when competitors slash prices just to undercut you so they can sell. The exact prices clearly are the vendors decision and the market shouldn't control it, that would be a recipe for disaster. However the practice of price wars should be controlled and addressed somehow.
ChrisInNC is offline   Reply With Quote