View Single Post
Old February 5, 2014   #3
rws-NH-45
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tom,

I sure like that Moose hitched up like a Belgian. Moose would great for working in swamps, but I think putting the harness on in Photoshop would be easier than in real life!

But ONIONS was why I'm posting. I have been growing Rossa di Toscana for 3 or 4 years, from my own saved seed since 2011. This year my saved seed didn't pass the germination test. I like the sound of Red Wing -- is it open pollinated? where can I get seeds?

I got my Rossa di Toscana from Gourmet seeds and the year I bought the seeds was the last time they listed them. Rossa di Toscana is dark reddish purple, and the color goes deep into the bulb. The onions can get tennis ball sized. Mostly round, some top shaped. The only other red I've tried is Red Wethersfield which for me the red was not as deep red, and the color only went a little way into the bulb.

I wonder if there are a lot of red onion names for the same thing. Like if I was Joe on the north side of the street, but Jim on the south side of the same street.

I'm also eager to hear what spacing you use. I have tried 5 inch spacing mostly. Five inches between plants and 5-6 inches between rows, in a raised bed. I have a little trouble with thrips, and sometimes cut worms soon after I set the plants out.

I have a lot of pictures in an album over at SSE.

Good luck with your onions,

Dick Shannon (my name at SSE)
rws-NH-45 is offline   Reply With Quote