View Single Post
Old February 5, 2014   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Dick, unless you're specifically looking for long storage onions, give Tropea onions a try if you haven't already. I've been growing the Tropea Rossa Tondo onions from Franchi seeds purchased through Seeds from Italy. They have a bit of heat, but not too much, and the red goes fairly deep into the onions. They are great in salads or on burgers. Ones that did start sprouting early made a fantastic pickled onion. While they don't keep as long, I still have a about a half dozen in the basement that are showing no sign of sprouting or rotting. And, even though my seeds are from 2010, I still had about 60% germination so far this year (they are still sprouting, so rate will improve). I've never tried saving onion seeds, but I am hoping to save some Tropea seeds this year, otherwise I'll just order up a new pack next year.

Last year I also grew some Red Wing from seeds I received from Tom, if I remember correctly. They are a hybrid, so no seed saving chances there. They also did quite well and are showing no "signs of aging," so I ordered myself some seeds and am growing them again this year.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote