View Single Post
Old February 15, 2014   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutique Tomatoes View Post
Last year with a late start and early flooding combined with cool temperatures cherries were about the only thing we got to sell, and our restaurant customers loved to get them. Heirloom or hybrid made no difference, appearance and flavor along with shelf life are king. Something delicious that only holds 2 days or those that split the minute a cook dumps them into a colander to wash them off they don't want.

Our problem with the slicers was that perfect specimens were only a fraction of the total yield. And even if you can get them to take cracked, split or blemished ones, they only want to pay a fraction for them, but they take the same amount of work to harvest. I got tired of trying to peddle them and canned hundreds of jars of salsa and sauce for gifts instead.

This year I'm planting almost exclusively cherries and small salad types for sale, with perhaps one row of larger striped tomatoes (mostly Brad Gates varieties) under a low tunnel to see if I can get more salable fruit that way.

We were getting an average of $3 for mixed pints of cherries including the Artisan cherry lines last year.
It isn't a cheery but I bet speckled roman would sell like hotcakes for you.
It is a very good tomato.
Worth

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote