View Single Post
Old February 23, 2014   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention that many vendors now use the pints made from pressed "pulp" because they are easily available. IF you give the basket with the sale, that's OK. But if you keep the basket, those pulp things aren't very sanitary. The other thing is if the produce is wet, or the weather is wet -- Well you can figure that out !!!

That Form-tex link has a good price on the green mesh, tho it would depend a bit on shipping for me.

One more thing about the mesh baskets -- of course they have been "cheaped down" by making them much thinner than they used to be. So we ALWAYS use 2 together. That keeps them from breaking as quickly. When they DO crack, we just rotate the cracks so they are on opposite sides and get some more life out of them.

Wet produce and weather is also why I do not use paper bags -- in 1 end and out the other !! I know plenty of people don't like plastic, but paper just isn't practical at farmers markets. At Madison, many customers are into recycling so bring their own cloth or string bags or re-use plastic from other places.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote