View Single Post
Old March 1, 2014   #217
tedln

I planted my seed around December 1 with hopes of plant out around March 1. My plants are now well over twenty four inches tall and very healthy. We were in the eighties yesterday but Sunday night will drop to around eighteen degrees so I will miss the early March plant out. They did spend the night outside yesterday but will be moved back inside for a few days this evening. I purposely grew them tall this year so they will bloom quickly and set fruit before our spring heat arrives.

I harvested a lot of really nice compost from my compost pile yesterday. It is similar to holding handfuls of moist grain in texture and appears to be very rich. I'm curious if anyone uses high quality compost as a seed starting medium. I up potted a couple of Lime Green Salad tomato plants into quart sized containers filled with compost yesterday. I kept four of the same tomato plants in their original sized containers and soil to use as a control. If the compost grown tomatoes exhibit any problems, I won't use the compost as a starter soil next year.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; March 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM.