Thread: Fabric pots
View Single Post
Old March 9, 2014   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I've been using fabric pots for 5 years with good results. The one drawback with "Air Pruning" is your aggregate will dry out faster than with a conventional container. When this happens the aggregate will pull back from the sides of the pot and when watered the liquid will run down the side of the aggregate and out through the fabric until the aggregate gets moist and expands.

Not a big deal unless you are applying ferts via the water can. When I do apply fertilizer via the water can I will first water with no ferts allowing the aggregate to expand and then water with ferts, this way the solution will stay in the aggregate. If you are watering via drip then it won't be much of a problem as the water is applied very slowly allowing the aggregate plenty of time to hydrate.

The only other issue with Fabric pots is supporting the plants as the pots do not lend themselves to conventional methods used for plastic pots. If you place them on a fence line or up against a wall to give additional support your OK.

Otherwise I have had good results and you can reuse the pots for 3-4 seasons.