View Single Post
Old March 13, 2014   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedling leaf changes and death

Hi,

I've been having problems with some of the seedlings I have hardening off and awaiting plant out in the garden with improved weather.

Seedlings in 3, 5, or 8 oz cups with drainage holes, filled with DE and lightly fertilized with Urban Farms Vegetable Fertilizer. Greenhouse temps 50 lowest a night and up to around 80-85 during the day with ventilation (sides rolled up, doors open). Filtered sun through shade cloth as well as some direct sun.

The seedlings will start out normally but over time SOME (10% ???) of them have developed curly, more rugose (sp?) leaves - particularly on the top - that gradually get crispy and brown and die. They have adequate water. It seems to affect mainly the plants with more sun exposure - but I wouldn't swear to this.

The greenhouse cover is a blue solar swimming pool blanket (like bubble wrap) with roll up sides and additional 6500K fluorescent lighting provided about 10 hours a day (although sometimes longer if I have the digital timer set wrong).

Any ideas what might be causing this? (BTW, haven't seen any insects that might be causing damage). Sorry I don't have any photos at the moment.

Thanks!
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote