View Single Post
Old January 13, 2007   #4
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Almost a political rant, but...

What a lot of us do not realize is that many of these mail-order (well, internet and telephone) seed companies really are small businesses, and the phone desks are either handled by quickly-trained temps or maybe by the (small) staff that is also charged with all the other work.

Further, there seems to be a slow slide away from civility in this country...we all bemoan the loss of customer service, at the same time as we shop at the big box.

Could the girl at Jung's have been nicer? Sure, you bet. but maybe you were her 400th contact that day, and she was getting frustrated because she really wasn't able to help you...she didn't know where the product was, or when it would be in, or maybe she was going to have to stay late because somebody else was sick and they needed help unloading a truck in the warehouse...

I've dealt with Jung, as well as Vermont Bean, Tot Tomatoes, & Shumway both before and after they were rolled into the Randolph operation. If I could have my wishes fullfilled, it would be (perhaps) a backdoor way to order products from all entities in a single operation (phone call or internet page). Last year I got seeds from Jung, VB and TT all ordered on the same day, picked, packed, and shipped on the same day in 3 separate packages and I marvelled at this.

One picker/packer could have packed my whole measly (total, about $80) order in about the same time, increasing efficiency for Jung.