View Single Post
Old March 15, 2014   #55
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
The spore Oil that fungi.com had was spores in either veggie or palm oil, but Paul Stammets recently joined the Inyourpalm# movement so he might have discontinued the product until he can find a suitable replacement.

I'd recommend for personal purposes using camellia Oil as if you look hard enough you can find it for about 10$ a pound, you could even use olive oil the plain stuff not virgin or evoo as a carrier but I'm not entirely sure about the cost effectiveness of it.

Getting the spores to start with is just as easy.
From Paul Stammets book: Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms

Choose fairly mature mushrooms and submerge them in a 5-gallon bucket of water. A gram or two of table salt inhibits bacteria from growing while not substantially affecting the viability of the spores. With the addition of 50 milliliters of molasses, spores are stimulated into frenzied germination. After 4 hours of soaking, remove the mushrooms from the bucket. Most mushrooms will have released tens of thousands of spores. Allow the broth to sit for 24 to 48 hours at a temperature above 50°F (10°C) but under 80°F (26.7°C). In most cases, spores begin to germinate in minutes to hours, aggressively in search of new mates and nutrients. This slurry can be expanded by a factor of 10 in 48 hours.

Stamets, Paul (2011-07-13). Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms (Kindle Locations 813-818). Ten Speed Press. Kindle Edition.

Gaston
thanks for posting this!!! a five gallon bucket of liquid culture, this is perfect for what i want to do with oysters on our farm site when we start working over there. we just got approved for an NRCS high tunnel grant that includes irrigation, i plan to grow lots of mushrooms all around our place. there isn't much of a market here for funny looking mushrooms but their benefits to farming are well worth the work involved.

hermitian, definitely put that space to good use! how many logs would you be inoculating?
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote