View Single Post
Old March 30, 2014   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default My 2014 Pepper Grow List - Germination Problems

Well, after weeks and weeks of checking my peppers daily for germination, I am sad that many just didn't germinate at all. Some were from seed exchanges and didn't have the date on them so could be an age factor, perhaps.

The ones that germinated:

Marconi Red - LOVE this pepper and plan on growing it every year. It is a fairly large plant that gets loaded with large peppers that are sweet and delicious when they turn red.

Fish Pepper - This is one I received after my request for attractive ornamental peppers so I can grow it in my front yard edible/ornamental garden where I get sun. Looking forward to seeing variegated leaves!

Chinese 5 Color - I have grown this several times and love the beautiful small upright pointing peppers that ultimately turn purple. HOT and delicious!

Hot Lemon - I have been wondering if this is the same as Aji Yellow and Lemon Drop. I have read forum posts but no one seems sure. Looks like the same in photos but mine was clearly labeled as Hot Lemon. This produces large quantities of bright yellow somewhat wrinkled peppers about the length and width of my index finger. They have amazing staying power on the plant well after everything else has been pulled. Great dried and ground into powder.

Yellow Peter - Well, the name describes what it looks like. First time growing it.

Zimbabwe Bird - First time growing this. It is supposedly VERY hot!

Mustard Habanero - Grew this in the past and it is making a come back. Don't really remember much about it because it has been a few years.

Fresno - A friend told me once I grew Fresno peppers, I would never plant another Jalapeno. We shall see. Too bad only one germinated.

Ones that DIDN"T Germinate :

Shishi*to - Really sad about this. Will try to find plants locally.
Orange Manzano
Padron - Really sad about this. Will try to find plants locally.
Early Jalapeno
Chilly Chilly
Riot
Aci Sivri
Elephant Ear

All were grown in the same seed flat and received the same heat and watering. I keep checking even though it has been almost 2 months. Some of my peppers are already 3 inches tall and they look great!!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote