Thread: Foliar feeding
View Single Post
Old April 8, 2014   #25
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Thanks that helps, I agree the salts can be a problem, but fact is the salts are also present in organic products. The plant does not care how the nutrients get there. They are in the same form organic or soluble. I often hear about the so called salt problem, I kinda chuckle as those same salts are present in the organic products. Often not as concentrated, but still there. The plant needs them, so without the salt, it would not grow! Why use salts? Because plants use salts for food!
My first thought is you're making soluble fertilizer out of organic sources. Chemically it would be identical to soluble. I guess you're adding bacteria, well unless the extraction process kills them? Don't now the method? I just add the bacteria myself. I like using organic but mostly because none is wasted. Often soluble just run out and are wasted. Organic makes more sense. But when young, I prefer greater control so use soluble. Once potted I only use soluble for certain situations, such as for protection from calcium deficit, or any minerals that are showing deficits, I can quickly add them.
Organic has many advantage to keeping the environment perfect for plants. It is the way to go, but sometimes inorganic methods come in handy as mentioned.

Last edited by drew51; April 8, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote