View Single Post
Old April 23, 2014   #14
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default 4/23 update

ok six days later this is what they look like. i shook all three of these about three days ago to speed up the colonization and check for contaminates.

note: when inoculating grain jars i find it best to put the inoculant in one spot so it runs down the glass and not shake them immediately after. if a contaminant arises you'll be able to see if it originated with the culture or under sterilized grain. if the growth is still clean after a few days to a week you can shake the jar up, break up the mycelium and spread it around the jar by shaking or tumbling end over end.

this is a filter made of polyfil, it costs about four dollars a pound and a pound will last the hobby grower two or more years. it's just inserted into a hole in the lid. you can use a needle to go right through the filter for inoculation. a filter is necessary for gas exchange so the colony can breathe.

here are the agar jars i inoculated earlier, all are still clean and get the green light to use. i used some of the HK to start 3 more quarts of grain and i'm thinking about sterilizing a bag of substrate to inoculate with the leftover juice, depends on how tired i am later tonight

this one isn't all that great, it was done with the maxi crop LC so that is likely not a good way to go

here's the other side of the HK jar from the first pic

Last edited by RootLoops; April 23, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote