View Single Post
Old April 24, 2014   #24
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I will never understand the organic/soluble debate, as both deliver exactly the same thing to the plant, just organic does it much slower. To me using organic makes sense as you actually use almost all of the fertilizer. Plus some is always there when the plant needs it. Soluble runs out and is wasted to a degree. And soon is not there at all, so the plant has a small window to use. So I try to avoid using it, but at times the quick hit of food at exactly the right time makes a lot of sense. An example is with seedlings that just form the first true leaves. Giving them nitrate right away makes a lot of sense. Waiting for organics to break down, slow plant growth at this point, unless one predicts when the first leaves will form and adds organic fertilizer ahead of time, it could be done. All organic ferts turn to soluble at some point. Else the plant cannot use it.
I also like to decrease nitrogen and increase phosphorus once fruit is forming. Hard to do this with organics. So that is another time I like to use soluble.
So I use both as organics increase the biological life in the soil, and always supply some nutrients at all times. Then I use soluble for the important points when plants need more or less of a nutrient. Also to quickly cure deficiencies. I find the use of both leads to the best production and improves overall health of the plant.

Each plant is different though. So I vary approach depending on plant. With raspberries I find the use of soluble not really needed. You can use them, but organics work just as well. Also with trees. So I'm usually 100% organic with those plants.
Blueberries have a hard time processing nitrates. So knowing your plant helps a lot on the approach used.
With enough research one can be completely organic with good results. Despite what I just said. So if you feel this is best, hey do what you think is right. I myself don't really care about being organic or not. I use both as both work for me. I feel I have more control, and like to control as much as possible as that way I get consistent results.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote