View Single Post
Old May 15, 2014   #47
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Softwood biochar works just as well.
I am reserving my judgement on the indiscriminate use of Compost tea. I recently did a soil test, to find my Ph is now at 7.9, far in excess of the normal requirements of regular vegetables. For the last few years I've been dumping Compost tea (It can't do any harm, is the mantra) well it does raise the Ph of the soil. My compost tea tests out at 7.9, so can guess why my garden is now 7.9?
Now I need some advice as to how to get my garden down to about 6.0 Ph. Anybody?
In the mean time I won't be using Compost tea.
I had a problem where my vermicompost was coming in at a high pH like that. In my case the problem was that I was composting a lot of egg shells in my worm bin.

Egg shells are ~94% calcium carbonate. They will make things alkaline.

That said, be careful adding acidic stuff to a compost bin. I know if you add citrus rinds you can end up with a fungal bloom. Supposedly you can add them in moderation. I added 1 rind and I had fungus everywhere.
but that was before I started composting egg shells so maybe I could have composted citrus rinds with egg shells.

I was just making vermicompost tea for a folear feed so I wasn't concerned with soil pH.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote