View Single Post
Old May 17, 2014   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Worth it sounds like your onion consumption is like mine. Since the vidalia types don't keep very well I quit growing them and just buy some cheap when they are plentiful. I have gone to planting nothing but White Bermudas. They actually make very well down here yet they are decent keepers. I start the seed in clay flower pots filled with UltraSorb in October and set the seedlings out between late December and early February depending on when I get the bed ready and when the seedlings are ready. Mine are now almost all fallen over and will need to be picked for storage in the next few weeks; but I have been eating nice big sweet onions for over a month now.

Below is a pic of the onion bed I took two days ago. All the onions are mulched fairly heavily with pine bark fines so most of the bulbs are not showing very well but they are there. I should probably brush back the mulch for a more impressive picture; but that would require extra work which I try to eliminate as much as possible in gardening.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bermuda onions 5-16-14.jpg (275.5 KB, 97 views)
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote