View Single Post
Old May 20, 2014   #249
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I hope this isn't too off topic, but, it's related to earthtainers. I changed out the grow media completely in my oldest tainers and 50% in my newer ones this off season. The tainers are 12 for 12 on fruit set (6 tainers, 2 each) with tremendous numbers of fruit set on most varieties. I'm so pumped for this season!! So far, a few sun golds and black cherry's have ripened and I can't wait to see what large variety wins the ripening race.

There are several factors that no doubt contributed to this great start to the season, but, I think new grow media is one. It was some work and cost to empty the tainers, clean out the water uptake and change out the media, but, definitely consider doing this if you haven't.

The primary others factors are extended cooler spring temps. We may get to 90 today, and if so, it will be the first time to do so since May 5, when we had 2 hot days (shortly after going down to 42 in May!!) Add cool nights in the 60s and constant breezes and humans and tomatoes are loving it! Finally, I've been adding 2 TBSP of Texas Tomato food (actually their veggie food up until this last time) every 3rd water refill. Whatever the reasons, the season is off to a roaring start, which is critical since our spring season is typically extremely short.

I must add that my tainers are kicking the tails of the tomatoes in the ground. The soil tomato plants are huge, lush, and bloom covered, but, have no where near the fruit set of the tainer tomatoes. What began as a necessity (I first built tainers because foundation work destroyed my gardens one summer) has turned out to be a huge blessing and a permanent fixture of my tomato gardens. Thanks Raybo!

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote