View Single Post
Old May 29, 2014   #4
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Raybo,

Thanks for responding! And for pointing out the humidity contradiction. Here's another version I've seen on several sites:

http://soundhorticulture.com/cms/wp-...Tech-Sheet.pdf

My conclusion is that the over 50% is wrong, and 30-60% being optimal is correct. (I do like that the ideal temp range goes up to 115 degrees!!). Right now my outdoor sensors suspended in with the tomatoes are just reading 1% RH but 30+% in the general backyard - so humidity could be a problem.

So far I haven't had any real whitefly problems and very few thrips. The sticky insect traps seem to be keeping those under control for the most part. I'm concentrating on the russet mites for the moment, but I think lacewings might work for the whiteflies and maybe thrips - and not fly away like ladybugs. The world of beneficial insects is a "whole nother thing" for me .

BTW, saw the botaniguard listed in the hydro-gardens catalog. Looks really interesting. Let us know how it works!

Anne

PS - Enjoyed your Dona photos on other threads. I've got two in the garden (one grafted one not) and so far they're both doing really well (the exception rather than the rule in my garden this year, alas). They certainly are dependable (knock on wood)!
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote