View Single Post
Old May 29, 2014   #6
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Anne:

I used Take Down a couple times last year and it was effective in keeping the russet mites in check.

My strategy is far more directed toward prevention rather than treatment. First, other than tomatoes, all plants in the nightshade family are kept away from the tomato garden. This includes jimsom weed, which grows naturally in SoCal. Anything in the nightshade family can be a host to the russet mites.

Second, when seedlings go out a layer of straw is added both beneath the plants and in the middle of the rows. Wind can blow dust onto the plants and the dust carries the tiny mites. Keep down the dust and you can prevent an infestation.

Third, I try never to let a leaf touch the ground. You don't want to provide ladders for the mites to crawl up.

Fourth, I plant some wispy leaf varieties that act as sentinels. They always seem to be the first to fall to the russet mites.

Fifth, keep your plants healthy. Healthy plants seem to fight off everything better.

This year I have used a little wettable sulfer at the first sign of trouble. So far I only sprayed once and that was limited to just a few plants out of 65. I am not sure it was spider mites, but when you see the lower leafs start to curl, that is the first sign of trouble.

I hope RedBarron chimes in because he knows about predatory mites and I am trying to emulate his permaculture techniques to the extent I can in my garden.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote