View Single Post
Old June 7, 2014   #8
CrazyMtn
Tomatovillian™

Default soil blockers

I have all of the soil blockers or at least smaller hand operated ones. I use them for just about every thing. There are lots of good recipes on the web and in Eliot Coleman's books. I think I would pass on the cup cake wrappers. I use a spatula. Some of the short fall are, if you get leggy seedlings when you move up to the next block size you can not bury them deeper in a lager block versus a container which I would say is the biggest short fall. It is possible to compact the blocks so tight the roots do not spreed well. More so in the micro blocker with tiny seeds (petunia ,pansys) and using coconut coir. If you water directly on the blocks they can come apart if they do not have roots through out. If you get the blocks too close the roots do not air prune, also in the solid bottom trays usually enough soil and water occur the roots spread easily. For the micro blockers and smaller seed I would not add compost or lots of nutrients. You have to watch the moisture, they can dry out quickly. I like to use a paper towel and a container that has recessed area where the blocks are not sitting in waterbut can still wick. The 4 inch block to me seems like an over kill, you get fantastic plants but it takes lots of soil and I usually transplant to the garden before hand out of the 2 inch. PRO-MIX HP MYCORRHIZAE is an excellent product to use in block making. The soil blocks really shine in starting plants in for square foot gardens, lettuce seems to do awesome in the micro blocker. You can start just about anything from corn, beans,peas, and melon, cucs and squash, all with little transplant shock. You keep fewer pots around for transplanting, although you can use paper pots too. They are a little expensive, the 4 inch was way too much in my opinion for the use I get out of it. The overall quality at least for the Ladbrooke brand, which are made in England is good I have not had any problems. You can start lots of plants in a small space or 20 in a very small space. In my opinion it is the best way I have found to start plants to fill in as summer progresses. As my spinach and lettuce goes to seed or gets eaten I have nice plants to fill in. Well that is what I have found with soil blocks, hope this helps someone out.
CrazyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote