View Single Post
Old June 7, 2014   #137
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I dug around for a while and found Doug Heath working for Bejo seeds as principal tomato breeder. Just so you will know he is still in the industry and working on tomatoes.

If you read the blog below, you will find several references to a super sweet orange cherry and/or grape tomato. I expect to see something interesting come from it in the near future. It is very high carotene and brix in the range of 12 to 15.

http://portraitofafarm.blogspot.com/...-monsanto.html
I just got through reading the blog and found lots of interesting info,

First, the blog was dated 2011 at which time Doug was working for Petoseeds, as I had surmised, and it was he who was working with Tye Dye, and since I know Petoseed did contract work for Burpee, it was Doug who developed that one for Burpee.

I find that most breeders did not like the word tolerance, although I know the tomato Industry switched to that from resistance when those lawsuits went to court from some large scale farmers who said their commercially bought seed said to be resistant to whatever, wasn't.

The breeders prefer intermediate resistance to tolerance.

You might remember that Randy Gardner had subcontracted to Bejo for his varieties Mt Magic, PLum Regal and Smarty, all hybrids. There were major problems with seed production so introduction was delayed.

Bejo has a presence in W NYS and I remember that Steve, can't remember his user name here, he takes great pictures and recently moved to SC, said he got seeds for some of those hybrids from a Bejo rep, and does the name Doug Heath sound partially famiiar to me? Yes, partially,

I saw that Doug also worked in FL at one time when he still with Petoseed. I had asked Linda Sapp a question she couldn't answer and so she called JayScott and asked him about it and he said to have me contact a breeder from Petoseed who was working in FL and gave a phone number.

And I'm pretty sure it was Doug I spoke to and we had a long chat. As I recall it was about nematode breaking strains, going both ways, that is from the nematode side and well as the plant side, and we also talked about his work with pollen clumping in high sustained heat.

Great read for me and I hope for others as well.

Carolyn, who forgot some of the other points she wanted to bring up, but the above are the major ones