Thread: City Compost
View Single Post
Old June 9, 2014   #9
OkieDan
Tomatovillian™

I live near Tulsa, OK. I pull up with my 12 foot trailer, and the fill with a big front-end loader. It is free. I watched them grind it up for a while, the machinery was unbelievable. Brush and big trees are placed in the top of a big machine that reminds me of a garbage disposer, it is about ten foot across the opening. As the big disposer runs, the big trees went around and around until they disappeared from site. The end product falls off a conveyer about 30 feet away. The end product is a finely ground wood and leaf mixture that smells a little like tobacco leaves, and has some courser wood shavings in it. Because of the quantities of big trees, I do not think there is much danger of it being contaminated with enough chemicals to do me any harm. Since I have been using it, I have noticed a lot of young worms in my raised beds. I never turn it under, just rake it a little each spring to deter grass and weeds. I add more every year. I add alfalfa pellets or soy bean meal to boost the nitrogen level. This has worked well for me.
OkieDan is offline   Reply With Quote