View Single Post
Old June 13, 2014   #10
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

The Lima bean tea does work. I used it at transplant on my eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers. Repelled the flea beatles and Colorado Potato beatles. The only plants with any potato beatles were some Sophie's Choice tomatoes which weren't sprayed at a later planting. Crushed the larvae and sprayed with tea. No more problems.

To make the tea put 3 gallons of hot water and 1 packed gallon of lima bean hulls and fresh leaves into a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow boil and continue boiling for 15 minutes. Remove heat and allow to cool covered overnight.

When the tea has cooled, strain and store in containers (I use 2 liter drink bottles). Store out of direct sunlight until needed.

After a few months, a mold will form around the top of the tea. This does not effect the tea, simply strain before using.

To use, spray full strength on plants at transplant. Respray every 7 - 10 days or after heavy rain as needed.

This year I'm trying an Italian heirloom, Super Marconi from Franchi Seeds and I interplanted the lima beans with the tomatoes peppers and eggplant. Claud

http://www.growitalian.com/bean-pole...marconi-57-30/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden 6-7-2014 007.JPG (255.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-7-2014 003.JPG (277.4 KB, 97 views)
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote