View Single Post
Old June 17, 2014   #5
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I really like Fragaria virginiana, it seems disease resistant and a steady producer. Currently I have only the white fruited cultivar. I would like to try the reds. I tried the common Alpine reds, and they either didn't produce well, or produced great, but died from fungal infections. I have one red left but it so far has only produced one fruit. So it's not the best. I may try again in the future. The Musk has a more intense wild flavor, but none of the cultivars I have are great producers. Slow to produce, you need a lot of them. But they send runners out and are super hardy plants. So you only need one, by the end of the season you'll have 25 plants. Well you need a male or a 2nd cultivar for fruit, well i heard that, but I myself added three male plants last fall, and I have berries this year.

Mara Des Bois is an intersting strawberry too. When ripe it's really sweet and tastes like a normal strawberry. If you let it ripen a touch more, it takes on the alpine wild flavor, except it's a lot bigger berry.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote