View Single Post
Old June 28, 2014   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

The mosaics are really tough to clean up once you have em... wow you're not kidding.
Disposing of plants is one thing, soil is something else altogether. Even these two small containers of soil is too heavy to just put in the trash.

But the list of 'other hosts' of ToMV is huge... Chance of starting a patch of it in the garden..... not worth the risk. I was thinking to just dump or bury the soil in the woods, but I googled " mosaic virus spruce" just to make sure... And I kid you not! Tomato mosaic isolated from red spruce, infective to other plants.
http://www.apsnet.org/publications/P...e76n05_518.pdf

There was too much rain to do anything yesterday, the bagged containers sat by the door. So.. this morning I did the soil shuffle out in the firepit - main roots to trash bag, the rest into the pit and lit a fire over it and burned some sticks for a couple hours. Later I'll find a place for the soil/ashes in the woods where it won't be disturbed and hope for the best. The smaller plant had only few roots and came right out of the soil easily; so what was left went into a heavy duty bag where I poured boiling water and let it sit... fire and/or water cure... humph.

This is for sure as much trouble as I can go to, and for a first step iit is worthwhile if there's a chance I will see this virus no more. There's no way I could handle it, though, if all the soil in my greenhouse had to be disposed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire-cleanup.JPG (291.1 KB, 71 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote