View Single Post
Old July 10, 2014   #20
drew51
Tomatovillian™

As one whom is interested in making sauce, I'm more into blending. No one tomato is going to have all the complexity in taste I want. Red is the only acceptable color. Most people will be turned off if not red, so one start's with a deficient. Anyway I would be willing to add other colors in blending, but end result will be a red sauce. I'm growing Amana Orange this year. interesting color. hardy any seeds, all meat, has a nice acid taste, yet some sweetness in there. I need more to ripen to decide, but seems a good one to experiment for my sauces. Good flavor, solid interior. I don't care if wet or dry as mentioned by others. Taste is what is the determining factor for me.
I'll probably never have a final sauce as too many tomatoes to try, I'll need decades, and don't have decades left. It's fun growing new tomatoes (new to me), and I will always do so. The standards like San Marzano and Costoluto Genovese will be the base of my sauce always, but I may change them to say Costoluto Fiorentino or Constoluto di parma most certainly will be at least tried down the road.
This year I'm trying Mrs. Maxwell's Big Italian , Amish Paste, and Rosso Sicilian.
Rosso had curled leaves and still has some, seems always in distress, but is absolutely loaded with tomatoes, more than any other sauce type. Impressive potential yield.
Maxwell seems super hardy and easy to grow. Amish paste seems like a typical paste tomato in growth habit, wispy leaves etc. I have many pastes I want to try.
I grew Amana Orange for other purposes, but it is so meaty it's going in the sauce, a very nice color too. It should lighten any blend up nice!

Last edited by drew51; July 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote