View Single Post
Old July 18, 2014   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
Yesterday I read through a fascinating book about the regional foodways of the Appalachians and learned a lot about the traditional, regional dishes, recipes, and traditions that are unique to the peoples of the Appalachian mountain regions. Are there any memories or dishes that you know are unique to where you live? A lot of these are rapidly disappearing and I would love to hear your stories.
Well it is not where I live now, but one food that is from North Carolina where my 1/2 my family is from is dry sausage. Never saw it outside of NC and even in NC it is virtually gone now. Same with country cured hams, the old style you had to scrub with a brush and soap to remove the crust and boil at least twice to remove the excess salt.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote