View Single Post
Old July 19, 2014   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I have lived in several areas of NC, but never ran across the dry sausage.
It is a regional delicacy. Mostly North East North Carolina, but I hear it used to be more common throughout the South. I have been told, with no way to know if it is true or not, that NC is the last state that this particular style dry sausage is legal to make and sell. If true, that may be part of the reason why it is only found there, and might have been a heritage food common throughout the South years ago before my time. All I can say 100% for sure though, get the right batch made from the right forest finished pork, and you'll have tasted by far the best sausage you ever even thought of eating.

Mac’s Air Dried Sausage

PS: To cook it you first boil to hydrate it, then fry it like any other breakfast sausage links. Make sure you pierce the skin with a fork to let the extra fat cook out. If it is the real mccoy, the fat will be a very deep yellow color, almost orange, not clear white.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; July 19, 2014 at 12:58 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote