View Single Post
Old August 7, 2014   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Here is a quote from our own Tom Wagner concerning adaption in regards to a variety Triple Climber that was brought to Alaska and grown by the same gardener for 25 years.

Ami
I remember him saying that, and I've known Tom since 1990 but I'm not remembering that he ever used in his breeding efforts such varieties grown in isolation for many years.So perhaps a theoretical musing.

After doing a LOT of research on the migration of the Cherokee on the Trail of Tears as they went from FL, GA, S and N Carolina to Oklahoma, I found there was no ONE trail and groups left the main trail and settled in some southern states. Arkansas being one of them.

I also have some links somewhere of present day folks of Cherokee descent who are still living there. Which brings me back to the Variety Indian Stripe, which has been grown in isolation there for many years, and does differ from Cherokee Purple in only minor ways.

Yes, I also know of the GF allele analyses that showed that Cp was not 100 years old as John Green was told when he got the original seeds and gave them to Craig L.

And without confirming it, bad memory here, I think the Cherokee migration started in about 1848/

And yes, I know that some think that CP might have come from Phillipines # 1, seeds sent from there to both the U of Arkansas and also to a breeder in Canada, and possibly "escaped" from the U of Arkansas to be the Cp ancester, but the dates don't fit.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around all of this as to CP and IS, and the whole idea of something being grown in isolation as connected in some way with local adaptation. Let's put it this way, I'm not yet a believer.

Carolyn, who is being inteviewed tomorrow by the Albany Times Union about heirloom tomatoes and is expected to define what heirloom means, and is shuddering at the attempt to do so. But as a former teacher she thinks she can muddle along on that.