View Single Post
Old August 13, 2014   #25
woodcrafts
Tomatovillian™

We are for the first time growing in [ 5 gallon buckets ] containers. A drain hole 2" from the bottom, with a hose barb installed. I went to a local concrete company, and purchased no. 89 stone and put 3" in the bottom. Topped off the bucket with a good potting soil. I have a hose timer set for 4 times per day with 2 gph drippers. I have a fertilizer feeder at the timer [ with a check valve, so backflow to hose can't happen.] I use a 11-11-11 fertilizer. This is all done in a greenhouse in mid-Georgia. Variety choice was not the best, first time around. I have 6 Century & 6 Heat plum. The plum are doing great. Off the 12, right now we are getting around 40# per week that go to market. Most of the plants are string trussed to the top of the greenhouse frame, and are 7' tall at this point. I need to thin the plants, as the fruit is beginning to get small. All in all, containers are working good. [ P.S. 89 stone purchased at concrete company is much cheaper than buying stone at Lowes. Here it is $2.00 for a 5 gallon bucket full, and a bucket will do the bottom of 6 to 7 five gallon pails.]
woodcrafts is offline   Reply With Quote