View Single Post
Old August 14, 2014   #28
LMinAL
Tomatovillian™

Followup to my original post. Turns out my problem was bacterial canker, spread by me from the original in-ground host plant, probably through pruning. The leaf symptoms were different in the container vs in ground plants, but they all stunted, wilted and had a dark ring inside the stem.

I believe all my tomato plants have it, but it's been interesting to see which ones have tolerated it the longest. The container Sungold has continued to produce plenty of tomatoes but hasn't grown much bigger than my original pictures. The ARGG and Big Rainbow died altogether. Of my in ground plants, I lost the host plant and a Black Prince. The rest have survived, (4 heirlooms and 3 hybrids) but not produced as much.

I will be dumping the container dirt and bleaching containers and cages, along with rotation, to prevent canker next year. I will also be starting my own transplants from seed. It's really frustrating buying a $2 plant that ends up messing up your whole garden. But, we still had enough for the two of us, got to try a little canning and have cherry tomatoes coming out our ears from the Sweet 100 in ground. I think those things could survive the apocalypse.
LMinAL is offline   Reply With Quote