View Single Post
Old August 22, 2014   #9
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

My friend owns the local garden center in town and 3 years ago, I had her order me a bush, as well as 2 more for the holistic center owner and the health food store owner (lol, I'm a good salesperson!). Having read about, and tried the syrup, I decided to grow my own.

They say you need 2 or more to get a lot of fruit, nonsense. I have one. It took 3 seasons, but this year I was so completely overrun with berries the branches were bending to the ground, no kidding! The birds usually have a field day there. This year I was able to not only take about 40 flower clusters to make vodka with (not sure I enjoy the flowers as much as the berries lol), but I still took 2 gallon zip lok bags of berries and froze them. I still left a bunch for the birds. Now I have a baby bush or two growing right along side. I think it needs to be thinned out or something. I cut it way back last year and maybe this is why it got so big.

Anyhow, I have made elderberry jam and syrup. I like the jam mixed with pineapple juice better than just berries. Watermelon is good too. I'm still wondering what to do with them but they are frozen for the moment. Pie sounds pretty yummy!

You must cook the berries, and they are a a bit tough to chew on, but I've had european style berry jam with them whole in it. You can boil the heck out of it and use the juice though. VERY tart and very strong flavored. Mine were ripe around last week of July here in NJ.