Thread: F1 surprises
View Single Post
Old August 24, 2014   #29
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default F1 shapes

Just to clarify, not all of the fruit of ZS crosses were heart shaped or pointy, there were some beefsteaky fruit too, although not as many.

As regards the random shapes of the Kimberley X Zolotye Kupola, Fusion was exacly right - lots of different shapes and sometimes all different in the same cluster. Some examples shown below. I also saw the same effect in Rozoviy Flamingo heart X Al Kuffa - some rounded but many heart shapes.

What was really surprising in Kim Kupola is the distribution of pithy cores in these fruit. Maybe environmental effects? It could be, as I did see large cores in some stable OP's as well, especially when they were oddly shaped. The 'bowtie' fruit, is not the most versatile in the kitchen...

One genetic trait I was happy to see in the F1 is the darker red blush in the center of the fruit, from Zolotye Kupola. I didn't expect this to be dominant, I do hope to see it in all the F2's though. Cores and colour shown below, sorry about the yellowness of the picture but it was very sunny back in July....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KimKupola-shapes.JPG (147.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg KimKupolacores.JPG (174.8 KB, 61 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote